Foal Handling and Stud Practice – with Ian Vandenberghe
|Course dates||Spaces available||Location||Accommodation||Price|
|To be confirmed||Hartsop Farm||Witney||£170|
Courses can be booked via the Intelligent Horsemanship Shop. Please call the office on 01488 71300 if you have any difficulty making an online course booking. We can take your booking and payment over the phone. Please have your card handy as payment will be taken at the time of booking. We accept Credit Cards and Switch/Maestro.
We also need to receive a completed Course Application form for you – download the course application form here!
You need to be a member of Intelligent Horsemanship to attend the above course. Join here if you are not already a member.
In beautiful Oxfordshire countryside you can take part in this course fully endorsed by Monty Roberts and Kelly Marks. Former College Equine Lecturer and Stud Manager, Ian Vandenberghe, has over 22 years experience of stud work including foaling over 600 mares. He is often called in to deal with dystocia and young foal problems.
He is successful at cardiac and respiratory resuscitation in the neonate and has had a 100% success rate with 18 foal adoptions on foster mares. A kind and natural horseman, Ian has worked with Monty Roberts and is an expert in the correct and humane way of handling young foals as well as specialised horse care.
Ian is running a series of Intelligent Horsemanship clinics that now form part of the ‘Monty Roberts Introductory Certificate in Horsemanship’.
Handling the Young Foal Clinic
On this one day course your studies will include:
- To identify the three stages of foaling
- To identify the vital early stages of life in a new-born foal
- Aspects of imprinting the foal
- The main diseases and problems related to a neonate
- The correct and most humane way to handle the young foal*
- To recognise foal behaviour
- Various methods of weaning
- The best methods of parasite control
- Appropriate vaccination programmes
- Foal growth and hoof care (including corrective trimming)
- (* Hands on for some students, further practical experience can be gained on the five day course if requested.)
Stud Operation & Practice
- On this one day clinic your studies will include:
- Broodmare management
- Stallion selection
- Stallion management
- Codes of practice for major contagious diseases
- Foaling and foal management
- Disease control
- Discussion on ethics